Skip to main content.

Academic Counseling Services

Whether you are going through the admissions process, registering for classes, or attending class there are many opportunities to receive assistance from counselors, support staff, and instructors. During the admission process, counselors will assist students to determine their readiness for starting technical college, encourage them in making the transition to WITC, and clarify with them the variety of flexible offerings, times and locations. Students will be assigned an academic advisor who is available to assist students throughout their academic career.  WITC also has many resources available to assist with academic, health, disabilities, and personal concerns.

Links to Academic Resources:

Frequently Asked Questions


When and how do I register for classes?

New students will register for classes at the student’s home campus.  Students will be notified of registration times and location by mail.   Returning students will meet with their Academic Advisor prior to registering for class through their MyWITC portal.

What options are there for taking classes?

Classes are delivered through many options including in-person classroom, on-line, and interactive television. 

What is a co-requisite and prerequisite?

Some courses require a student to be enrolled in another course at the same time (co-requisite) or to have taken another course prior to a course (prerequisite).  Some course offerings may be blocked from registration if there is a co-requisite or prerequisite that has not been fulfilled.

When do I need to pay my tuition?

Payment of tuition not covered by financial aid should be paid several days prior to the start of classes.  Students may sign a Contract for Payment form through their MyWITC by providing credit card or debit card information.  Please check your financial aid awards on MyWITC to verify your tuition is covered by financial aid.

View our Tuition and Fees policy for more information on due dates for tuition and fees.

Students must pay full tuition and fees or have a Contract for Payment in place several days prior to the start of the term.  Your class space is subject to cancellation if fees are not paid.

What is the procedure for withdrawing from courses and campus refund policy?

Students may withdraw from classes through their MyWITC at any time.  Students are warned that withdrawing from classes may impact their academic and financial aid standing.  It is recommended students meet with their advisor, a counselor, or financial aid advisor prior to dropping a course.  Students who withdraw prior to the start of the course receive 100% refund.  For all courses, regardless of length, if the student drops the course after the first class meeting, the following refunds apply: 

1. An 80 percent refund shall be granted when less than 11 percent of the course’s total potential hours of instruction have been completed.

 2.  A 60 percent refund shall be granted if 11 percent through 20 percent of the course’s total potential hours of instruction have been completed.

3.  No (zero) refund shall be granted after more than 20 percent of the course’s total hours of instruction have been completed.

What happens if I withdraw from all of my classes?

Students who withdraw from all of their classes need to meet with a counselor.  Counselors will investigate financial aid implications and explore possible options.

What will I learn at orientation?

Beginning your college experience can be filled with many questions and concerns; orientation is a critical opportunity to become aware of many factors that will help you achieve your goals at WITC.  During orientation information regarding campus policies and procedures, parking, lockers, student code of conduct, student right to know, support services available, and student activities will be provided. 

What tips are there for new students?

What is good academic standing?

To maintain good academic standing a minimum of 2.0 semester GPA and completion of 67% completion of credits attempted (example twelve credits enrolled requires completion of eight credits).

If I get a D or F, can I repeat it?

You may repeat any course you receive a D or F as a grade.  Upon successful completion, students should complete a repeat course form which replaces the D or F with an R (repeat of class, repeats do not affect grade point average). Financial aid will pay as many times as needed for a passing grade. It will pay one more time if the student received a passing grade. e.g. F= as many times as needed; D= one more time)

How can I change my program?

Students wishing to change their program are required to meet with a counselor.

Campus Resources

What is academic advising?

Academic advising is a process that assists students with developing a plan for completion of their program.  Academic advisors will also check on the progress of courses during the current term and address any student needs.  The advisor is often informed about local career opportunities in the student’s field.

Are there services available if I have special needs?

Students who self-identify special needs are referred to the WITC Accommodations Specialist on their local campus.  Documentation of the disability(s) is required.   Accommodations Specialist will assist students to coordinate reasonable accommodations.

Is there anyone I can talk to concerning health issues?

The College Health Service provides free confidential health services for all students. These services include over-the-counter medications, treatment of minor injuries and illness, sick room, health fair, blood pressure monitoring, diet/weight counseling, blood sugar testing, wellness activities, flu immunizations, physical and mental health resources, etc.

How can I get extra help with my courses?

The Student Success Center is available to provide assistance with students on specific course(s) needs as well as work with improving math, language, and writing skills.  The Student Success Center can assist with developing test taking strategies, effective study techniques, and other resources to improve student’s academic performance. Students are also eligible for the WITC peer tutor program.  Student Services will connect a student to a peer tutor who will assist students in mastering the specific course material. 

The Educational Technology Center in the Learning Commons is available for individuals who need assistance with technology issues (Microsoft Word, etc.).

What resources are available if I’m struggling with transitioning to college, experiencing difficulty with time management, suffering with test anxiety?

Students who are experiencing difficulties are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a counselor as soon as possible. (See counselor section on personal counseling)

What if I am uncertain about my major?

If students are unsure of a college major, it is recommended that they discuss this with a counselor.  Counselors can provide career assessments, program/job shadows, informational interview resources, and access to faculty that may assist students in gathering information beneficial in determining a major.

See Career Planning and Assessment

Back to Counseling Services

Female Student Smiling