Military Educational Experience Credit
Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College may award credit for military coursework and military experience of former or currently enlisted U.S. military personnel for possible credits toward the completion of an Associate Degree or a Technical Diploma. Credits may be awarded only toward courses that fulfill published WITC graduation requirements or that are acceptable degree electives at WITC.
Each branch of the military has developed methods for documenting military training that the American Council on Education (ACE) has evaluated for college credit. WITC uses the ACE College Credit Recommendations when evaluating prior military experience and its equivalency to WITC course competencies.
Each branch of service provides transcripts for current and former service members that include individual military education, training, and experience. You can obtain official and unofficial copies of your military transcript using the appropriate links below: (Please note that some branches allow you to request and receive those transcripts online; others must be requested in writing—you should request and maintain copies of your transcripts for your own reference. You can also use these links to request official copies to be sent directly to WITC.
Army/A.C.E. Registry Transcript Service (AARTS)
Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
Air Force Information Page to Request Transcripts
Coast Guard College Assistance
Correspondence and other training
You may have completed correspondence courses or other eligible training that can be used for college credit. Review the links to sites containing course information by military branch. We may be able to give you credit for courses you've completed.
- The Army Distance Learning Program - Correspondence and online course listings
- Army Command & General Staff College
- Marine Corps Institute Online
- Navy E-Learning
- Air Force Programs & Services - Air Force Training and College Information
- Coast Guard Institute
The American Council on Education (ACE)
The American Council on Education is a coordinating organization helping institutions and organizations advance the higher education system. The organization ultimately helps individuals by evaluating and recommending institutional, and some non-traditional education and training, allowing accredited educational bodies to accept credit recommendations.
- American Council on Education (ACE) - National & International Education Body
- ACE Military Program - Excellent Military Information from ACE
- Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) - WITC is a member of SOC and uses the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Forces as the basis for evaluating military training and experience.