Personal Income Tax Specialist
17-101-2 Technical Certificate
Campus: Ashland, New Richmond, Rice Lake, Superior, Online
Students will undergo focused study of federal and Wisconsin income tax law and practices including: participation in WITC's VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistant) Tax Workshop for one tax season, preparing income tax returns for low-income tax payers. This experience will be supervised by a qualified tax professional/instructor.
This certificate enables the student to practice professionally in a guided experience with real clients.
As a Personal Income Tax Specialist student, you should:
- Read and comprehend complete tax guidelines
- Effectively communicate on a one-on-one basis with a client
- Work independently
- Seek guidance on ambiguous issues
- Work comfortably with computer software
- Maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with clients
- Handle client information in a confidential manner
Preparation for Admission
As a student in this certificate, you should strive to reach a comfort level in the following courses or skills:
- Introductory Accounting
- Oral/Interpersonal Communication
- Written Communication
- Working experience with Internet-based computer software
Key to the student's success in this certificate is attention to detail and a willingness to learn.
Employers will expect you, after completing this certificate, to be able to:
- Interact effectively with taxpayers
- Prepare basic and advanced tax returns (as defined by the IRS-VITA program)
- Effectively use tax-preparation software
- Consult relevant reference materials to determine correct filing status, tax forms, deductions, etc.
- Present taxpayers with a professionally prepared tax return, including a copy of the return and answers to taxpayers' questions