Online Tutoring for Online Students
Need just a little more help with one of your classes? For WITC online learners, there is an online tutoring service available for several courses. You may want to consider utilizing this resource if you are enrolled in an online course in the following subject areas:
In order to get started with online tutoring services, a WITC student needs to do the following:
- Read and understand the information below regarding online tutoring.
- Complete the
Request for Online Tutoring form.
Within five school days after completing the request form, you will receive a username and password for your online tutoring account.
Things to understand about online tutoring:
- This is a tutoring service, not an answer service. The online tutor will guide you in figuring out solutions to your questions, but will not give you the answers.
- Your account is limited to five hours of tutoring time. Once you have utilized all of your time, you will need to contact the WITC Online Tutoring Coordinator to obtain more tutoring time. (800/243-9482, ext 6382.)
- Your tutoring account is monitored by WITC and SMARTHINKING. Be aware that college personnel will be able to view your tutoring sessions-even after they are completed.
- This service has some technology requirements. Please review the requirements listed below to make sure you have adequate technology to utilize this service. Students may use campus computers for online tutoring.
- Customer support for this service can be contacted at:
email@example.com or call (888) 430-7429.
- OS: Windows 98 +, Mac OS10 +
- Browser: Windows: Netscape 6 +, Internet Explorer 5.01 +, Firefox 1.0.4+. Apple Mac: Internet Explorer 5.1+, Safari 1.3+, Firefox 1.0.4+
- Connection: 28.8K min. / 56K+ preferred.
- Popup Blockers? Please disable all popup blockers for
Once you receive your username & password, you are ready to use the online tutoring service.
- Log on to http://www.smarthinking.com Using the username and password you received, complete the self-registration form. Use your WITC username and password for your SMARTHINKING account. This will be the information you use to log on each time you use SMARTHINKING.
- Review the Student Handbook in the Customer Support and FAQ area before starting your first tutoring session. This handbook contains valuable information about when tutoring is available and how to use this service. Please note: Though the handbook discusses “Schedule a personal session,” this feature of online tutoring is not currently available to WITC students.
- Follow the directions in the Student Handbook and on the website. One tip: You may type in more than one question before connecting with an online tutor. Once you connect with a tutor, it takes an average of two minutes for a tutor to first respond to you.
- If you have questions about online tutoring, please contact Customer support for this service at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (888) 430-7429. To contact WITC’s Online Tutoring Coordinator, email Twila Sauve or call 1.800.243.WITC, extension 6382.