Information Technology - Computer Systems Administration Specialist
10-154-7 Associate Degree (two-year)
Offered at Ashland, New Richmond*, Rice Lake, Superior*
*second-year coursework available online
Troubleshoot. Training. Support.
The first year of the Information Technology - Computer Systems Administration Specialist program provides students with a foundation in computer systems along with strong LAN networking skills. These skills will allow students to support and manage computer systems and the networks connecting them. The first year of the curriculum is similar to the IT - Network Specialist program.
The second year of the program focuses on server administration, virtualization, and cloud computing concepts. Students learn how to install, configure and manage servers in a virtualized environment. The curriculum offers the technologies necessary to pass the Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS), Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional (MCITP), and VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certifications.
- WITC is affiliated with the following industry partners providing students with access to a variety of materials and software: Cisco, CompTIA, Microsoft, and VMware.
- WITC locations are Cisco academies, and WITC is a CompTIA academy partner and does VUE testing.
- Students in the IT - Computer Systems Administration Specialist program have a common first year with the IT - Network Specialist program and have the option in the second year to choose to complete the IT - Computer Systems Administration Specialist program or IT - Networking Specialist program.
- IT - Computer Systems Administration Specialist second-year coursework at New Richmond and Superior available online.
Students in this program must:
- Complete application form and submit with fee (fee waiver may apply if previously completed)
- Complete Accuplacer entrance assessment to determine placement (waiver may apply with acceptable alternative test scores and/or postsecondary degree completion)
- Complete Computer Literacy assessment
- Complete admissions interview with a WITC counselor (above requirements should be completed prior to interview)
Students in this program must:
- Complete the SmarterMeasure Learning Readiness Indicator assessment for online learning
Students who enter this program should:
- Be organized and logical
- Concentrate on details for long periods of time
- Enjoy work that requires a high degree of accuracy
- Be able to handle setbacks and remain at task until a workable solution can be found
- Enjoy finding solutions to complex situations
- Work under stress
Tenacious. Problem Solver. Logical.
Students should strive to reach a comfort level in the following courses or skills:
- Basic computer skills
- Microsoft Windows
- Internet Browsers
Program OutcomesEmployers will expect graduates of the Information Technology - Computer Systems Administrative Specialist program to be able to:
- Manage information technology hardware
- Manage software
- Support computer networks
- Provide end user support
- Solve information technology problems
- Demonstrate customer service skills as an IT Professional
The estimated total program cost for the two-year Information Technology - Computer Systems Administrative Specialist program is approximately $9,500. This program is eligible for financial aid. View more information on program and costs.