Skip to main content.

Liberal Arts Degree Program - FAQs

  1. What is the Liberal Arts Degree Program at Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (WITC)?

    An agreement between Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (WITC) and Nicolet College to offer a liberal arts program that provides students with an opportunity to complete an Associate of Science or Associate of Arts degree at WITC. The Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees satisfy general education requirements at four year institutions.

  1. What is the difference between the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees?

    The Associate of Arts degree has a concentration on Social Sciences and Humanities. Potential majors include: Communications, Fine Arts, Education, Foreign Language, English and Literature. The Associate of Science degree has an emphasis on Science and Mathematics. Potential majors include: Engineering, Natural Resources, Math, Medicine and Science. See program requirement sheets provided by your counselor/advisor for specific requirements for each degree. This was provided to you during your initial admissions interview.

  1. What are the benefits of this program?

    WITC students participating in the Liberal Arts - Associate of Arts program are able to transfer to public and private colleges and universities, both inside and outside of Wisconsin. Up to 72 credits may transfer to any University of Wisconsin four-year institution and satisfy university general education requirements (additional courses may be needed for specific majors or licensure requirements). Completion of the full AA degree allows for maximum transfer.

    For students who do not intend to pursue a baccalaureate degree, the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees signify achievement of diverse skills and knowledge that are valued in today's work environments.

    Students will see significant tuition savings and participate in smaller classes with high quality faculty. Students can complete the degree in their home community saving money on housing and making the transition to the four year institution easier.

  1. How do I apply for program?

    Follow the WITC admissions process. The information you provide will be shared with Nicolet College.

    The Liberal Arts Degree Programs require that you take a UW Placement Test. Be sure to mention that you are interested in a Liberal Arts Degree Program when contacting WITC. As part of the admissions process you will be scheduled to meet with a WITC counselor and a Nicolet advisor in a joint web conference.

    Study First! The UW Placement test is an important assessment and we encourage all students to brush up their skills and review one or more of these valuable study materials before taking the test.

    Math: Math Practice Test

    English: English Practice Test

  1. Do I have to go to Nicolet College?

    No. All classes will be taken at WITC via face-to-face, interactive television, or online. Meetings with your Nicolet advisor will be offered through web conferencing. Typically, your WITC counselor will also participate in the conference.

  1. How does Financial Aid work?

    If you plan to apply for Financial Aid, you will need to complete a FAFSA at On your FAFSA you will need to enter Nicolet College’s school code: 008919. WITC's Financial Aid department will work with Nicolet College to ensure that your financial concerns are addressed. However, financial aid is officially though Nicolet.

  1. How do I pay my WITC tuition bill?

    If you are eligible for Financial Aid:

    Your financial aid will come from Nicolet and be applied to your student account. Any aid in excess of your WITC fees will be refunded directly to you. Any outstanding fees will be your responsibility.

    Direct Payment Options:

      • Pay in full online using eCheck or credit/debit card at the time of online registration (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, China Union Pay, or Diners Club only).
      • Pay in full in person using cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card at the Campus Business Office.
      • Payment can be deferred through a Payment Plan at WITC.
  1. How do I pay my Nicolet tuition bill?

    Students pay tuition and fees through the Business Office. Several options are available to students to pay tuition:

    In Person at the Business Office, University Transfer Center - Second Floor

    Online Full Payments and Payment Plans through MyNicolet

    Simple steps to enroll:

    • Turn off pop-up blocker
    • Sign into MyNicolet
    • Under Financial information click on My Account/Make a Payment
    • On the Account Summary page click on the e-cashier pay plan

    By Phone with a MasterCard, Visa, or Discover credit card

    By Mail Checks should be payable to Nicolet College and mailed to:

    Nicolet College - Business Office
    Box 518
    Rhinelander, WI  54501-0518

  1. Is campus housing available?

    Yes. Housing listings are available in the Student Services office to help students locate suitable housing near campus

    Students are welcome at all campuses to review local newspapers in the Learning Resource Center (LRC) for housing availability in the area. WITC does not intervene in the establishment of housing agreements between student and landlord. Housing requirements are established by appropriate authorities and maintained by the landlord and the students. The students are expected to comply with the landlord/tenant requirements.

  1. How do I purchase my books?

    Log on to your MyNicolet Account. Choose “View my class schedule” on the left hand side of the screen and navigate to the appropriate semester. Select “View Textbook Information” on the right side of the screen. This link will take you directly to the Bookstore's website and prepopulate your list with the textbooks required for your classes.

    For WITC books: Always check the syllabus or inquire at the bookstore of the originating campus of your course. Contact campus bookstores for book availability. Students are responsible for securing books for online courses.

    Please note that course books are arranged by department and course number. Please have your course schedule available when you purchase your books.

    WITC allows students who meet certain criteria, to charge their books and supplies at any WITC bookstore.  Funds will be available within 24 hours after all requirements have been met.

  1. How do I register for classes?

    Information on how to register for WITC courses can be found at our registration page

    However, you will also be taking courses from Nicolet. Registration can vary depending on the time of the year and which classes you are taking. For the best results, schedule a web conference appointment with your WITC counselor and Nicolet advisor to schedule classes.

  1. Can I take classes being offered by Nicolet without being admitted in the Liberal Arts Degree Program?

    Yes. Students may enroll in courses as an undeclared student if they do not intend to apply the course credits towards completion of a degree. Contact Nicolet's Welcome Center at 800.544.3039, ext. 4493 for more information on enrolling in courses as an undeclared student.

  1. Where and how can I participate in graduation?

    Degrees will be awarded by Nicolet College, but students are welcome to participate in the ceremony at Nicolet or WITC. Students should file a Graduation Petition with Nicolet in the term in which they will complete their final courses for graduation. The petition is due by November 1 if completing the degree in the fall semester; the petition is due by March 15 if completing the degree in the spring or summer semester. The petition is available on Nicolet's website. Please follow the graduation procedure for the College's ceremony you intend to participate.

    WITC requires students to complete a Petition to Attend Ceremony form. Students who expect to graduate in May, should complete the petition in the preceding March. Reminders will be posted in the student portal. The petition notifies WITC staff that you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony and to receive a cap and gown.

  1. How do I get my transcripts?

    Both Nicolet and WITC have established procedures for ordering transcripts. Nicolet’s procedure can be found at the bottom of their website homepage. Degrees are officially awarded from Nicolet so if you are looking for confirmation, follow Nicolet's procedures. Nicolet uses a third-party provider for official transcripts. For complete information on ordering your transcript, see Nicolet's website, and click on the “transcript” link at the bottom of the homepage. WITC currently provides this service through a third party provider as well. For ordering information go to the following WITC webpage,

  1. Where do credits transfer?

    Liberal Arts credits you earn at WITC will transfer to numerous colleges and universities, including every campus in the University of Wisconsin system. Work with your Nicolet advisor concerning transfer opportunities to your four-year college of choice. For additional information, please see the Nicolet webpage,

    Do I have to complete a degree for my credits to transfer?

    No, credits you earn at WITC though the Liberal Arts Degree Program will transfer to numerous colleges and universities. You can use the UW System Transfer Wizard to check on course transferability to a University of Wisconsin system school

    However, earning your Associate of Arts/Science degree may be to your advantage, depending on the specific school you plan to transfer to for your Baccalaureate degree. Check with your Nicolet advisor and the transfer institution of your choice to be sure.

  1. Will I take all WITC classes?

    To complete a Liberal Arts Degree you can take up to 30 credits of eligible WITC courses. The remaining credits will be earned through Nicolet College courses offered at WITC or through ITV or online options. Your Nicolet Advisor or WITC Counselor will be able to assist you with determining which WITC courses are eligible for this program.

  1. Who do I talk to if I need accommodations for my disability?

WITC Accommodation Specialists work with students, faculty, and staff in providing modifications, accommodations, and auxiliary aides to ensure that the educational environment is accessible to all students with disabilities. Visit Accommodation Services for additional information. The WITC Accommodation Specialist will work the Nicolet Accommodation Specialist if accommodations are needed for a Nicolet class.

  1. Where do I go if I need help while taking classes?

    Students enrolled in the Liberal Arts Degree program will have access to WITC student services. This includes: counseling, career assessment, tutoring, student life, etc. Please see additional services available to you as a student at the Student Services webpage: