2018 WITC District Board Appointment Process
Applications are now closed.
~ Thank you for your interest in the WITC District Board.
Note: Notarized affidavits (applications) are currently being accepted from female applicants for the Employer member position residing in St. Croix County in the WITC District. Affidavits are due by 4 p.m. on Thursday, November 15, 2018. Please check below to see if you qualify.
Applications will be accepted for the following district Board position:
One (1) Employer Member (residing in Region 6: St. Croix County) *female applicants only please
- Term Dates: January 22, 2019 - June 30, 2021
- Distribution of Populations: In accordance with Wisconsin Statute §38.10(2)(c), the Board Appointment Committee is required to give equal consideration to the distribution of populations within the district. According to the Wisconsin Technical College System, this has been interpreted to mean that members of each gender (male/female) must hold at least three (3) positions on the District Board. Therefore, the Board Appointment Committee is seeking qualified female applicants for the above-mentioned position on the WITC Board to comply with the statute. In addition, if the district's minority population exceeds 6.5%, at least one minority must hold a position on the Board. Note: WITC's minority population in 2018 is 6.6% and there are currently two (2) minority representatives serving on the WITC District Board.
District Board Organization and Qualifications
Please review all information provided to see if you qualify.
WITC Counties/Board Appointment Committee
Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College is governed by a 9-member District Board and appointed by elected County Board Chairs from the 11 counties within the WITC District listed below. In accordance with Wisconsin Statutes §38.10(1)(b), the County Board chairpersons of the counties having territory within the district shall constitute the Board Appointment Committee. The Board Appointment Committee Chair is from the county with the largest population in the WITC District [Wisconsin Statutes §38.10(2)(b)].
Counties in the WITC District: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron (portions of), Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix (portions of), Washburn
District Board Makeup
In accordance with Wisconsin Statutes §38.08 (1)(a), the 9-member District Board will consist of the following member positions:
- 2 Employer members
- 2 Employee members
- 3 Additional members
- 1 Elected Official member (who holds a state or local office)
- 1 School District Administrator member
Board members serve staggered 3-year terms and are not paid, except for expenses incurred in the reasonable performance of their duties.
WITC District Board - Open Positions
The Board Appointment Committee is seeking one female applicant for the following WITC District Board member position, to begin on or about January 22, 2019, for a 3-year term ending June 30, 2021. Please see affidavit to determine if you qualify, per Wisconsin Statute §38.10(2)(c).
- Employer member (residing in Region 6: St. Croix County)
Board appointments will be made in accordance with the Plan of Representation which specifies categories of membership as well as geographic areas of representation within the district. Special Note: In accordance with the Plan of Representation, Board members must live in the WITC district and are selected for member positions (regions) based on the county in which they live, not the county in which they own a business.
- Equal consideration is given to the general population distribution within the WITC District, as well as to the distribution of women and minorities, per Wisconsin Statute §38.10(2)(c).
- No two members of the WITC District Board may be officials of the same governmental unit, nor may any District Board member be a member of the school board that employs the School District Administrator member.
- No region (see Plan of Representation) will have more than two members on the WITC District Board.
- Of the three Additional Members, no more than two (2) may be employers and no more than two (2) may be employees.
WITC District Board Candidate Requirements
There are four important requirements listed below that all candidates must meet in order to be eligible for District Board membership:
- Be residents of the Wisconsin Technical College (WTC) District in which they are applying for Board membership.
- Complete and submit a notarized Affidavit (application), along with up to a one-page single-spaced statement describing reasons for seeking an appointment to the Board, to the District Board Appointment Committee chairperson within 14 days of the publication of an announcement requesting applications.
- Attend the District Board Appointment Committee public hearing in person and be interviewed.(See Board Appointment Public Hearing/Committee meeting date, time, and location below).
- Have at least two (2) letters of recommendation before being interviewed.
Note: Please mail letters of recommendation to the Chair's address below if letters will be received before the public hearing. Otherwise, please bring your letters to the public hearing and give them to the Executive Assistant to ensure they are received before interviewing at the public hearing.
WITC District Board Affidavit (Application)
Complete and submit the notarized affidavit and statement as follows:
- Affidavit (Application): Download and complete the Board Appointment Affidavit of Qualifications for Wisconsin Technical College District Board Membership
- Affidavit (Application) Due Date: The notarized affidavit (application) and statement must be received no later than 4 p.m. on Thursday, November 15, 2018.
- Submit completed and notarized affidavit and statement to:
Mr. Roger Larson, Chairperson
District Board Appointment Committee
505 Pine Ridge Drive
Shell Lake, WI 54871
WITC District Board Appointment Committee Public Hearing/Committee Meeting and Candidate Interviews
Be present and be interviewed.
- Date/Time: Thursday, December 20, 2018, at 2 p.m.
- Location/Address: WITC-Administrative Office, 505 Pine Ridge Drive, Shell Lake, WI 54871
- Applicants must live in the WITC district
- Applicants must complete and submit a notarized affidavit (application) and statement by the due date above
- Applicants must be present and be interviewed at the public Board Appointment hearing/committee meeting as noted above
- Applicants must submit at least two (2) letters of recommendation supporting his/her candidacy before interviewing
WITC District Board Appointment Committee Public Hearing/Committee Meeting and Notices
The following notices will be published in the appropriate district newspapers:
- Notice 1 (Intent to Appoint District Board Members): was published in early-November
- Notice 2 (Announcing the District Board Appointment Committee Public Hearing and candidate names): was published in early-December
WITC District Board Appointment Additional Resources
- WITC Board Appointment Rotation
- WITC Plan of Representation
- WTCS Overview and Statistics
- Statement of Economic Interest
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Current WITC Board Members
- Map of WITC District with Population
- Map of School Districts Within WITC District
- Board Involvement Activities/Events
- WITC District Board Policy - Board Member's Role (II.D.).