2020 WITC District Board Appointment Process
Applications are currently being accepted.
Thank you for your interest in the WITC District Board.
Notarized affidavits (applications) will be accepted for the following three (3) District Board member positions:
- One (1) Elected Official member position, residing in the district
- Two (2) Additional member positions, residing in the district
Term Dates: July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2023
Notarized Affidavit (Application) Due Date: Affidavits are due by 4 p.m. on Thursday, February 13, 2020.
Distribution of Populations: In accordance with Wisconsin Statute §38.10(2)(c), the Board Appointment Committee is required to give equal consideration to the distribution of populations within the district. According to the Wisconsin Technical College System, this has been interpreted to mean that members of each gender (male/female) must hold at least three (3) positions on the District Board. Therefore, the Board is seeking at least one qualified female applicant for the open Board positions to meet this requirement. In addition, if the district's minority population exceeds 6.5%, at least one (1) minority must hold a position on the Board. WITC's minority population is 8.1%. There is currently one (1) minority representative serving on the Board.
District Board Organization and Qualifications
Please review all information provided to see if you qualify.
WITC Board Appointment Committee
Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College is governed by a 9-member District Board and appointed by elected County Board Chairs from the 11 counties within the WITC District (see counties listed below). In accordance with Wisconsin Statutes §38.10(1)(b), the County Board chairpersons of the counties having territory within the district shall constitute the Board Appointment Committee. The Board Appointment Committee Chair is from the county with the largest population in the WITC District [Wisconsin Statutes §38.10(2)(b)].
Counties in the WITC District: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron (portions of), Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix (portions of), and Washburn
District Board Organization
In accordance with Wisconsin Statutes §38.08 (1)(a), the 9-member District Board will consist of the following member positions:
- 2 Employer members
- 2 Employee members
- 3 Additional members
- 1 Elected Official member (who holds a state or local office)
- 1 School District Administrator member
Board members serve staggered 3-year terms and are not paid, except for expenses incurred in the reasonable performance of their duties.
WITC District Board - Open Positions and Qualifications
The Board Appointment Committee will be seeking applicants residing in the district for the following three WITC District Board member positions, to begin on or about July 1, 2020, for a 3-year term ending June 30, 2023. Please see affidavit (application) to determine if you qualify, per Wisconsin Statute §38.10(2)(c).
|1. Elected Official Member|| You are considered an applicant in the elected official category if, as defined
in Wisconsin Statutes §5.02, you are a state or local elected official.
|2. Additional Member|| All residents of a technical college district are eligible to serve as an additional
member for that college.
|3. Additional Member|| All residents of a technical college district are eligible to serve as an additional
member for that college.
Board appointments will be made in accordance with the Plan of Representation, which specifies categories of membership as well as geographic areas of representation within the district.
- Equal consideration is given to the general population distribution within the WITC District, as well as to the distribution of women and minorities, per Wisconsin Statute §38.10(2)(c).
- Members of each gender (male/female) must hold at least three (3) positions on the district board.
- No region will have less than one (1) member and no more than four (4) members on the WITC District Board.
- Board members must live in the WITC district and are selected for member positions (regions) based on the county in which they live, not the county in which they own a business.
- Of the three (3) additional members: no more than two (2) may be employers, no more than two (2) may be employees, no more than three (3) may be school district administrators, and no more than three (3) may be elected officials. No two (2) members of the district board may be officials of the same governmental unit, nor may any district board member be a member of the school board that employs the school district administrator member.”
WITC District Board Candidate Requirements
There are four (4) important requirements listed below that all candidates must meet in order to be eligible for District Board membership:
- Be residents of the Wisconsin Technical College (WTC) District in which they are applying for Board membership.
- Complete and submit a notarized affidavit (application), along with up to a one-page single-spaced statement describing reasons for seeking an appointment to the Board, to the District Board Appointment Committee chairperson within 14 days of the publication of an announcement requesting applications. A résumé may also be submitted.
- Attend the District Board Appointment Committee public hearing in person and be interviewed. (See Board Appointment Public Hearing/Committee meeting date, time, and location below).
- Submit at least two (2) letters of recommendation supporting your candidacy before being interviewed.
Note: Please mail letters of recommendation to the Chair's address below as we would appreciate receiving those before the public hearing. Otherwise, please bring your letters to the public hearing and give them to the Board Appointment Liaison to ensure they are received before interviewing at the public hearing.
WITC District Board Affidavit (Application)
Complete and submit the notarized affidavit and statement as follows:
- Affidavit (Application): Download and complete the Board Appointment Affidavit of Qualifications for Wisconsin Technical College District Board Membership
- Affidavit (Application) Due Date: The notarized affidavit (application) and statement must be received no later than 4 p.m. on Thursday, February 13, 2020.
- Submit completed and notarized affidavit and statement to:
Mr. Roger Larson, Chairperson
District Board Appointment Committee
505 Pine Ridge Drive
Shell Lake, WI 54871
WITC District Board Appointment Committee Public Hearing/Committee Meeting and Candidate Interviews
Be present and be interviewed.
- Date/Time: Thursday, March 19, 2020, at 2 p.m.
- Location/Address: WITC-Administrative Office, 505 Pine Ridge Drive, Shell Lake, WI 54871
- Applicants must live in the WITC district
- Applicants must complete and submit a notarized affidavit (application) and statement by the application due date above
- Applicants must be present and be interviewed at the public Board Appointment hearing/committee meeting as noted above. A résumé may also be submitted.
- Applicants must submit at least two (2) letters of recommendation supporting his/her candidacy before interviewing.
WITC District Board Appointment Committee Public Hearing/Committee Meeting and Notices
The following notices will be published in the appropriate district newspapers:
- Notice 1 (Intent to Appoint District Board Members): will be published in late-January
- Notice 2 (Announcing the District Board Appointment Committee Public Hearing and candidate names): will be published in early-March
WITC District Board Appointment Additional Resources
- WITC Board Appointment Rotation
- WITC Plan of Representation
- WTCS Overview and Statistics
- Statement of Economic Interest
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Current WITC Board Members
- Map of WITC District with Population
- Map of School Districts Within WITC District
- Board Involvement Activities/Events
- WITC District Board Policy - Board Member's Role (II.D.)
- WTCS Map of Districts (interactive map; type in your address to determine if you live in the WITC district)
For questions, please contact:
WITC Board Appointment Committee Liaison
715.468.2815, ext. 2279
1-6-20 (draft), 1-10-20 (draft), 1-19-20 ko