From submitting your application to admission to registration, WITC is available to help guide you through the admissions process. To help you successfully complete this program, WITC has developed a set of program requirements and functional ability criteria. For students with a disability, reasonable accommodations are available to help you be successful in the program of your choice.
The first step to get admitted is to fill out a WITC application, and WITC will guide you from there. If you're not quite ready to become a student, visit a campus to get the full WITC experience. A campus tour will give you the opportunity to meet staff, instructors and students, tour the campus and get a real feel for the campus culture.
Students in this program must:
Have earned a high school diploma or GED certificate; current high school seniors must provide both a current high school transcript and a final transcript with confer date
Complete one year of high school chemistry or one term of college-level chemistry with a 2.0 or better
Review and sign Background Check Disclosure
Review and sign Functional Abilities Disclosure
Students in this program must:
Submit Background Check fee
Have an acceptable Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check, National Criminal Background Check, Minnesota Caregiver Background Check (if applicable), and/or other states as applicable
Have current immunizations and demonstrate negative status for tuberculosis (Tb)
Review and sign Allied Health Division Confidentiality Statement
Attend a mandatory program orientation session
Health Information Technology Student Handbook 2017-2018
- Program Information
- Program Policies
- B1 Student Responsibilities
- B2 HIT Student Code of Conduct
- B3 Confidentiality-HIPAA
- B4 Absences
- B5 Course Expectations for Assignments
- B6 Computer Information
- B7 Email Utilization
- B8 Grading Policy
- B9 Failing Grades
- B10 Fail Repeat Policy
- B11 Grade Appeal Procedures
- B12 Dismissal from HIT Program
- B13 Improvement Plan
- B14 PPE Expectations
- B15 Witnessing Legal Documents
- B16 Communication Policies
- B17 Late Work
- B18 PPE Attendance Policy
- B19 PPE Previous or Current Work Experience
- B20 Withdrawal Policy
- B21 Reentry After Dismissal
- B22 HIT Program Completion
- Health Risk Information
- Learning Resources
Health Information Technology Orientation - Fall 2018
2018-19 HIT Curriculum Checklist - to be used as a guide. Although your academic advisor can provide guidance, you are ultimately responsible for selecting courses that meet a program's graduation requirements.
- Background Checks
- The clinical agencies that host the WITC HIT students for practicum courses have significantly increased their demands for background check scrutiny over the past several years. Background checks will not be completed until 90 days prior to start of third semester. In the meantime, we want to ensure students understand, prior to the start of the program, that if there are no clinical agencies that will accept the student based on the background check history, the student must be excused from the HIT program, regardless of the student’s academic standing. This is explained in further detail in the background check disclosure.
- All HIT students are required to complete a Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check and a National Criminal Background Check, which must be completed through Verified Credentials, Inc.
- In additional to that, if you are a student who will complete clinical in Minnesota, you will also be required to complete a Minnesota Caregiver Background Check (see below). Prior to your third semester, your program instructor/advisor will inform you if a Minnesota background check is needed.
- MN Department of Human Services (DHS) Background Studies
- The MN Dept. of Health Services NETStudy 2.0 background study requires all persons who provide services to children and vulnerable adults to be fingerprinted and photographed.
- Students will be required to provide WITC a copy of an Acceptable Form of ID for DHS Background studies, the completed MN DHS Data Worksheet and $20.
- WITC staff will verify the information provided, and enter it into the MN DHS website, which will generate the Background Study Fingerprint & Photo Authorization document that is sent to the student. Students MUST present the authorization document and same form of ID to be fingerprinted and photographed. Students will be reuquired to pay the $9.10 fee at the fingerprint and photo location.
- Within 14 calendar days of receiving the Background Study Fingerprint and Photo Authorization document, students must be fingerprinted and photographed. If not completed within 14 calendar days, the above process and fee payment will need to be repeated.
- Background Study Notice of Privacy Practices
- 1. Print forms
- 2. Each form will indicate a due date and to whom the paperwork should be sent
- Health Form and Directions
- Print health form and directions
- Read Hepatitis B information
- Complete health information and immunization pages of the form
- Take the form and directions to your physical exam appointment
- Be sure the physical exam page gets signed & stamped
- Submit prior to third semester per instructor's deadline
- Complete & Give to Instructor
- Additional Information
- 2018-19 HIT Program Cost Sheet
- HIT Text List - Fall 2018
- Insurance Information
- Student Biographical Change Request - please print and use this form if you change your name, address or phone number(s). You should submit it to your local Student Services to be certain that the changes are entered in the main computer system.