From submitting your application to admission to registration, WITC is available to help guide you through the admissions process. To help you successfully complete this program, WITC has developed a set of program requirements and functional ability criteria. For students with a disability, reasonable accommodations are available to help you be successful in the program of your choice.
The first step to get admitted is to fill out a WITC application, and WITC will guide you from there. If you're not quite ready to become a student, visit a campus to get the full WITC experience. A campus tour will give you the opportunity to meet staff, instructors and students, tour the campus and get a real feel for the campus culture.
Students in this program must:
Students in this program must:
Submit Background Check fee
Have an acceptable Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check, National Criminal Background Check, Minnesota Caregiver Background Check (if applicable), and other states, if applicable (required at program start and prior to practicum)
Pass a physical exam, have current immunizations, and demonstrate negative status for tuberculosis (Tb)
Possess current certification of First Aid and “CPR for Healthcare Providers” or equivalent
Review and sign Allied Health Division Confidentiality Statement
Attend a mandatory program orientation session
Medical Assistant Student Handbook Academic Year 2017-2018
- Program Information
- A1 Description of Profession/Program Goal
- A2 Fact Sheet
- A3 Program Prerequisites
- A4 Program Progression
- A5 Medical Assistant Practicum
- A6 Graduate Competencies
- A7 Skills Checklist Master Competencies Form
- A8 Performance-Based Instruction
- A9 Complaints Concerning MA Program
- A10 Graduation Requirements and AAMA CMA Application Process
- A11 AAMA CMA Exam
- Program Policies
- B1 MA Code of Conduct
- B2 AAMA Code of Ethics
- B3 AAMA Creed
- B4 Background Checks
- B5 CPR and First Aid Requirements
- B6 Confidentiality and HIPAA
- B7 Academic Requirements
- B8 Attendance Requirements
- B9 Course Expectations and Assignments
- B10 Professionalism Requirements
- B11 Professionalism
- B12 MA Academic Dishonesty Policy
- B13 Communications Policies (social media)
- B14 Email Utilization
- B15 Computer Info
- B16 Verifying Course Credit Taken Outside of WITC MA Program
- B17 Transfer of Course Credit Taken Outside of WITC MA Program
- B18 Grading Policy
- B19 Course Failure-Repeat Policy
- B20 Withdrawal from MA Coursework
- B21 Reentry into MA Program
- B22 Grade Appeal Procedure
- Health Risk Information
- Learning Resources
Medical Assistant Orientation
Orientation Documents and Information
- 2017-18 Academic Calendar
- Campus Contacts
- 2017-18 MA Curriculum Checklist
- Background Checks
The clinical agencies that host the WITC MA students for practicum courses have significantly increased their demands for background check scrutiny over the past several years. Background checks will not be completed until 90 days prior to start of the Medical Assistant Practicum (January 1 for New Richmond and Ashland students; August 1 for Rice Lake and Superior students. In the meantime, WITC wants to ensure students understand, prior to the start of the program, that if there are no clinical agencies that will accept the student based on the background check history, the student must be excused from the MA program, regardless of the student's academic standing. This is explained in further detail in the background check disclosure.
All MA students are required to complete a Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check and a National Criminal Background Check, which must be completed through Verified Credentials, Inc. In addition to that, if you are a student who will complete MA Practicum in Minnesota, you will also be required to complete a Minnesota Caregiver Background Check (see below). Prior to MA Practicum, your program instructor/advisor will inform you if a Minnesota background check is needed.
1. Print Forms
2. Each form will indicate a due date and to whom the paperwork should be sent
- The MN Dept. of Health Services NETStudy 2.0 background study requires all persons who provide services to children and vulnerable adults to be fingerprinted and photographed.
- Students will be required to provide WITC a copy of an Acceptable Form of ID for DHS Background studies, the completed MN DHS Data Worksheet and $20.
- WITC staff will verify the information provided, and enter it into the MN DHS website, which will generate the Background Study Fingerprint & Photo Authorization document that is sent to the student. Students MUST present the authorization document and same form of ID to be fingerprinted and photographed. Students will be reuquired to pay the $9.10 fee at the fingerprint and photo location.
- Within 14 calendar days of receiving the Background Study Fingerprint and Photo Authorization document, students must be fingerprinted and photographed. If not completed within 14 calendar days, the above process and fee payment will need to be repeated.
- Background Study Notice of Privacy Practices
- Health Form and Directions
1. Print directions and forms
2. Read Hepatitis B information
3. Complete health information and immunization pages of the form
4. Take form and directions to your physical exam appointment
5. Be sure the physical exam page gets signed and stamped
6. Submit during the first semester per instructor's deadline
The uniform dress code is identified in your Student Handbook under Professionalism Requirements (B5). This link provides a list of websites and local uniform shops that sell uniforms.
The student and employees of Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (WITC) will abide by the confidentiality policy of the clinical site. The student’s signature on this form signifies that the student has read, understands, and will adhere to the WITC Confidentiality Statement.
Read the functions and initial/sign the last page as described. Submit to instructor by designated date.
- MA Program Cost Sheet
- MA Textlist
- MA Fact Sheet and Progression Options
- Insurance Information
- Student Biographical Change Request
Please print and use this form if you change your name, address or phone number(s). You should submit it to your local Student Services to be certain that the changes are entered in the main computer system.