Educational Tax Benefits - 1098-T
Important Notice for Educational Tax Benefits
1098-T tax information for eligible students will be available for viewing and/or mailed on or before January 31
of each calendar year for the prior year tax reporting. Please check your MyWITC, Student Center, to view
your 1098-T data for any current or past tax year. More information on eligibility and instructions on how to
fill out tax forms may be available at: www.irs.gov and search for Publication 970 or Education Credits:
Questions and Answers .
Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College cannot determine if you are eligible for any tax benefits. Please consult your tax advisor for more information. Resources on eligibility and instructions on how to fill out tax forms may be available at:www.irs.gov. To see if you qualify for a credit, and for help in calculating the amount of your credit, see Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Education; Form 8863, Education Credits; and the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions.
WITC reports on what is billed for qualified tuition and related expenses during a calendar year – 1/1/20XX through 12/31/20XX which is box 2 on the 1098-T Tuition Statement. If you attended WITC from January through March, your eligible tuition and fees may have been reported on the prior year 1098-T Tuition Statement. Review the prior year 1098-T Tuition Statement to see if box 7 is checked. This box will indicate that the amount reported in box 2, amount billed for qualified tuition and related expenses includes amounts that were from an academic period beginning January to March.
WITC does not report on what you paid during the calendar year, therefore, box 1 of the 1098-T will be blank. The amount you use to calculate your education credit will not necessarily be the same as the amount that appears in box 2. You should use the information on the 1098-T form in conjunction with your own payment records to determine eligibility for the credits.
WITC is not required to provide Form 1098-T for:
- Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is enrolled in a degree program.
- Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student.
- Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants.
- Students whose tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement with the student’s
employer or a government agency such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.
To view available 1098-T information online:
- Student Center
- Under Finances click on the dropdown other financials
- Select 1098-T
- Click the chevron
To view your transactional data (charges and payments) for the calendar year you will need to log in to your MyWITC/Student Center and follow the steps below:
- Sign into the portal (MyWITC) and click on Student Center.
- Scroll to the Finances section of your Student Center.
- In the “other financial…” click the blue down arrow.
- Select Account Activity.
- Click the chevron
- In the view by section put in the dates covered within the tax year 1-1-xx to 12-31-xx.
- Leave the All Terms field alone.
- Click go.
- Make sure you click “View All” within the Transaction line.
- Print this page.
To reset your MyWITC log in credentials, follow the Student Sign On Assistance link and instructions listed on thewww.witc.edu/MyWITC log in page.